The Ximinez-Fatio House Museum complex includes a 1798 coquina stone house, the region’s only detached kitchen building and a new visitor’s center.
When Andres Ximenez built the house, the bottom floor operated as a general store and tavern. Ximenez and wife, Juana, lived upstairs with their three children.
Throughout the property’s long history, it served as an inn and boarding house in the local community. The property was run by several women starting with Margaret Cook in 1830 and ending with Louisa Fabio in 1875.
After being purchased by the National Society of Colonial Dames of America in 1939, the house was restored and interpreted to the boarding house period and opened as a museum.
For information, call 904-829-3575.