In 1887, railroad magnate Henry Flagler commissioned building designers Carrere and Hastings to construct the Hotel Alcazar in the Spanish Renaissance style.
The opulent structure accommodated wealthy tourists for years before closing in 1932.
Chicago publisher Otto Lightner purchased the building in 1946 to house his extensive collection of Victorian-era antiques and collectibles. He immediately turned it over to the city of St. Augustine in trust.
Today, relics of America’s Gilded Age are displayed in the museum’s grand three-story ballroom.
Some highlights of the collection include a science and industry room, Native American artifacts and a music room with instruments dating from the 1870s through the 1920s.
The second floor contains example of Victorian art glass and stained glass work of Louis Comfort Tiffany’s studio.
The museum is open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is $10 for adults and $ for students. Children under 12 are free.
Address: 75 King St.