Jan. 29, 1888: Staff barracks destroyed

0
313

The staff barracks for staff of the Ponce de Leon hotel partially destroyed by fire. The colored fire company was the first to stream water on the building and with the Ponce de Leon company was able to save most of the building. The structure is known as the Lakeside Condominiums today was the barracks. The burned portion was rebuilt in brick and is visible today.

Source: St. Augustine Historical Society