Constructed in 1691 during the first Spanish Period, the house was built with tabby and coquina — the same materials that were used to erect the Castillo de San Marcos.
When the house was purchased in 1785 by Father Miguel O’Reilly, an Irish priest in the service of the Spanish crown, it became the parish rectory. Through O’Reilly’s foresight the building remained a place for learning and spirituality long after his death.
The museum has three main themes: the story of the house, the Catholic tradition in St. Augustine and Sisters of St. Joseph, who have been the guardians of O’Reilly House since 1866. Admission is free.
For information, call 904-826-0750.