Start to finish: 30 minutes (10 minutes active)
Yield: 8 servings
• 2 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil
• 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
• 9-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove excess liquid
• 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
• 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
• 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 1/4 cup milk or cream
• 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
• Kosher salt and ground black pepper
• Heat the oven to 350 F. Coat a shallow, 4-cup baking dish or 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
• In a medium skillet over medium, heat the oil. Add the garlic, stir for 30 seconds, then add the spinach and cook, stirring frequently, until the spinach is cooked and no liquid remains in the pan, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool.
• Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, Monterey Jack, Parmesan, milk, basil and a hefty pinch each of salt and pepper. Use an electric mixer to beat until well combined, then add the spinach mixture and mix again until fully incorporated. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan, smoothing the top, then bake for 20 minutes, or until hot and bubbling. Serve hot with bread or crackers.
Nutrition information per serving: 170 calories; 130 calories from fat (76 percent of total calories); 15 g fat (8 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 45 mg cholesterol; 340 mg sodium; 3 g carbohydrate; 0 g fiber; 2 g sugar; 6 g protein.