Take a stroll through history as Friends of the Main Library St. Augustine welcomes Florida author and local historian William “Bill” Ryan. Participants will learn about Ryan’s series on the historic happenings along Old Kings Road. Ryan’s presentation will be at 12:30 p.m. June 15 at the Main Library, 1960 N. Ponce de Leon Blvd. The program is free and open to the public, but seating is limited. Doors will open at noon.
Ryan, a 22-year resident of Palm Coast, is a webmaster for several local historical groups as well as the Friends of the Flagler County Public Library. His interest in Flagler County’s history began with a library project where many references were made to Old Kings Road. Development was causing the colonial roadway to disappear, and Ryan took on the task of recording it on film and with words before it vanished. He made both still and video records for the Flagler County Public Library and wrote a series of books, including “The Search for Old Kings Road,” “Osceola His Capture and Seminole Legends,” “Bulow Gold” and “Lost Plantations of Flagler County Florida.”
At the Brown Bag Lunch Program, Ryan will share some of his adventures and discoveries in his book research.
He worked with local resident Stephen Held to save the historic Osceola capture site, locate remaining pieces of the King’s highway and document the history of this area next to St. Augustine. With information from many historians, his researched historical fiction includes tales of battles, slave rebellions, the early beginnings of Kings Road, the famous Indian chief, Osceola, and the great plantations that existed before the Second Seminole War of 1835.
Friends of the Main Library sponsors the Brown Bag Lunch Program once a month as a community event.
Patrons are welcome to bring their lunch, and light refreshments will be provided.
For information, call 827-6940 or email email@example.com.